Download a sprinkler save report to record your fire department’s latest successful fire sprinkler activations.


September 2013


Emeritus at Burr Ridge Tri-State Fire Protection District

The fire sprinkler system in the nursing home/assisted living center contained a fire caused by a resident trying to dry clothes in a microwave. Fire crews arrived to provide final extinguishment. See full Fire Sprinkler Times story. Chicago Sun-Times  

Liedman Hall – Monmouth College Monmouth Fire Department

The fire sprinkler system in one of the college’s women’s dormitories activated to control an early morning fire that occurred in a unit on the second floor. The two occupants were asleep at the time of the fire, however, one was awakened by the smoke. They escaped safely along with everyone else in the building, which has a capacity of 120 women. College officials credited the combination of the quick response of the occupants and the effectiveness of the fire sprinkler system, smoke alarm system, and magnetic fire doors for everyone’s safe exit. The college retrofitted the dormitory with fire sprinklers in 2011, well ahead of the January 1, 2013, deadline mandated by the state’s Fire Sprinkler Dormitory Act. Monmouth College website  

August 2013


Metal Fabrication Plant Mundelein Fire Department

Two fire sprinklers extinguished a fire that began when a spark from a metal-grinding process ignited some exhaust system filters in the 65,000-square-foot metal fabrication plant. Damage was limited to some product and the second shift of employees was able to go to work later that day. Mark Gaunky, Lieutenant, Mundelein Fire Department

Deer Path Inn Lake Forest Fire Department

The historic hotel’s fire sprinkler system extinguished a small dumpster fire in an interior garbage room. Michael Gallo, Lieutenant, Lake Forest Fire Department  

Binny’s Beverage Depot Highland Park Fire Department

After an elderly woman mistakenly crashed her car through the liquor store’s display window and ignited a fire that was accelerated by alcohol, the fire sprinkler system activated and kept the fire under control until fire crews arrived to extinguish it. The driver was treated for minor smoke inhalation and no one was injured in the store. The store was able to reopen only 2 days later and adjoining businesses were not damaged. “It’s a great testimony to the sprinkler system here because there were 100 boxes of alcohol she hit,” Highland Park Fire Chief Patrick Tanner said. “That could really get going (on fire).” Highland Park News  

Danville Public Library Danville Fire Department

A fire sprinkler extinguished an early morning arson fire that began in a small book return room of the library. Damage was limited to only $3,000 to the building and $1,000-1,500 for its contents. Commercial-News  

Auto Repair Shop Chicago Fire Department

Fire sprinklers held an automobile fire in check at an auto repair shop, which is located next to the Fire Museum of Greater Chicago’s warehouse for large fire apparatuses. Kurt Van Dahm, Retired Firefighter

K1 Speed Addison Fire Protection District #1

Four fire sprinklers held a fire in check under a table in the kitchen of the indoor go kart racing facility until fire crews arrived on scene. Damage was contained to the table involved and slight charring on the wall where the table was situated. “Without the fire sprinkler activation, we would have had a total loss of the kitchen,” said Addison Fire Marshal Mike Toika. Mike Toika, Fire Marshal, Addison Fire Protection District #1  

July 2013


Commercial Building Springfield Fire Department

In the less than three minutes that it took for firefighters to respond, a commercial building’s fire sprinkler system contained and extinguished a blaze in a third-floor closet that appeared to have began in a pile of debris. The third floor of the building is vacant. State Journal-Register  

June 2013


Sprint Bourbonnais Fire Protection District

One fire sprinkler controlled a fire in the cellular phone store until fire crews arrived. The business was able to reopen the following day. The other eight occupancies in the strip mall were unaffected and resumed business the same day of the fire. Ed St. Louis, Fire Chief, Bourbonnais Fire Protection District  

Townhouse Lake Zurich Fire Rescue Department

A single fire sprinkler in the the townhouse’s basement held a fire in check that began when a dehumidifier unit failed. The owners were alerted by the smoke alarm system and evacuated safely so no injuries were reported. According to a fire department press release, the residents will be able to occupy the home. “Without the sprinkler system, this fire would likely have spread and caused significant damage. As it was in the basement and early morning, it may have gone undetected for a longer period.” Jeff Radtke, Captain, Lake Zurich Fire Rescue Department  

SpringHill Suites Warrenville Fire Department

The fire sprinkler system in the hotel controlled a fire in a fifth-floor room, limiting the fire damage to that room. No injuries were reported. Daily Herald

April 2013


Instant Results UV Free Tan & Spa Mount Prospect Fire Department

A single fire sprinkler controlled a fire caused by an electrical/mechanical malfunction of a portable sauna unit. Other businesses within the shopping center were not affected by the fire and were allowed to remain open. The fire, which occurred on a Friday, caused only $10,000 in damage, and the business was able to reopen on the following Monday. “Without an automatic fire sprinkler and fire alarm system, the loss to the business could have been significant,” said Mount Prospect Fire Chief John Malcolm. John Malcolm, Fire Chief, Mount Prospect Fire Department  

Hanover Place Tinley Park Fire Department

The fire sprinkler system in the senior living facility extinguished an unattended cooking fire that began in the electric oven of one unit’s kitchen. Fire damage was limited to $5,000, only affecting the oven/stove and refrigerator. No injuries were reported. Dan Riordan, Senior Fire Inspector, Tinley Park Fire Department  ]]>