Fire Sprinklers Stop a Fire From Spreading in Boutique in Frankfort
FRANKFORT, IL (May 20, 2020) – Three fire sprinklers activated keeping a fire from spreading in The Dressing Room, a boutique located in Crowne Centre Shopping Plaza, a two-story building with 17 units, located in the 9600 block of Lincoln Way Lane.
Responding to an alarm at 7:44 p.m. on Wednesday, May 20, fire crews arrived at the scene at 7:49 p.m. Upon entering the unit, crews saw that the fire alarm and fire sprinklers activated. Firefighters extinguished the remaining flames. The store was unoccupied and no one was injured.
According to a report from the district, the rapid response to this fire can be attributed to the fire alarm system providing early notification and the sprinkler system keeping the fire contained until firefighters could extinguish it.
The Dressing Room’s Facebook page said that the business owner moved most of her merchandise from another store to create a “distribution center” so it would be more convenient to fulfill orders during COVID-19.
The Mokena Fire Protection District was assisted by the Frankfort, New Lenox and Homer Township fire protection districts.
The cause of the fire was accidental.
Source: Frankfort Patch and The Dressing Room Facebook page
Fire Sprinkler Extinguished Laundry Cart Fire at Integrity Healthcare
BELLEVILLE, IL (April 27, 2020) – A single fire sprinkler extinguished a fire at Integrity Healthcare of Belleville, April 27. The Belleville Fire Department responded to a call of a smoldering smell in the laundry room at 9:01 p.m. Upon arrival, fire crews found that a fire sprinkler activated above a laundry cart. The facility provides skilled nursing services for individuals diagnosed with mental illness disorders.
According to Assist. Chief J. P. Penet, Belleville Fire Department, the cause of the fire was determined to be from freshly laundered kitchen towels and mops that contained residual natural cooking oils. The heat from the dryer of the bundled towels and mops accelerated the breakdown of the oils causing a spontaneous ignition of the towels.
Ahern Fire Protection of St. Louis, Missouri was called by the facility to put the fire sprinkler system back in service.
There were no reported injuries, as the facility staff acted quickly to evacuate personnel and residents in the affected wing, and relocate others to adjacent wings, behind self-closing fire doors.
Source: Assist. Chief J. P. Penet, Belleville Fire Department
Owner Expresses Gratitude After Sprinkler Extinguishes Chicago Warehouse Fire
CHICAGO, IL (April 25, 2020) – A single fire sprinkler quickly extinguished a fire at the Columbia Kraft Metals warehouse in Chicago, April 25 at 7:30 p.m.
F.E. Moran Fire Protection responded to the service call from the owner of the company. The owner expressed gratitude for the high-performance fire sprinkler system and recognized how bad the fire could have been without it.
According to a statement from the F.E. Moran response team, it’s a great feeling when people understand the critical importance of fire protection services, but it’s just as important to understand that life itself should never be taken for granted.
Source: F.E. Moran Fire Protection
Fire Sprinkler Extinguishes Apartment Kitchen Fire Protecting High Risk Residents
ELMHURST, IL (April 15, 2020) – A fire sprinkler extinguished a kitchen fire at Greencastle Apartments in Elmhurst. When the Elmhurst Engine 1 arrived, they reported a fire sprinkler activated in the kitchen. The fire started on the stove and spread to the cabinet before the sprinkler extinguished the fire.
Greencastle Apartments is a seven story, 80-unit building for residents over the age of 62 or for people with disabilities. Two residents were in the apartment and refused medical treatment.
According to a statement from the Elmhurst Fire Department, the fire was contained to the unit with minimal water damage. The incident could have been much worse if the building was not protected with fire sprinklers. The fire department was alerted by the activation of the sprinkler system.
Source: Deputy Fire Chief Bill Anaszewicz, Elmhurst Fire Department
Fire Sprinklers Stop a Fire from Spreading at Chicago UPS Facility
CHICAGO, IL (April 10, 2020) – Fire sprinklers kept a fire from spreading at the UPS facility located at 1400 South Jefferson in Chicago, April 10, at midnight. The cause of the fire appeared to be a spark from a conveyor that landed on a cardboard surface.
According to F.E. Moran, the sprinkler contractor that has completed inspection, testing and maintenance at the UPS facility for more than a decade, the system engaged with quick action.
No injuries were reported.
Source: F.E. Moran Fire Protection
An Apartment Fire Was Kept From Spreading By a Single Fire Sprinkler
BLOOMINGTON, IL (April 2, 2020) – A fire sprinkler contained a fire to one room in an apartment on the fifth floor of the Phoenix Towers in Bloomington Wednesday night. People living in the complex are elderly and people with disabilities, those at higher risk of being injured in a fire. A woman who lived in the affected unit was injured but the fire was contained to its area of origin and did not spread.
The cause of the fire is undetermined and damage estimates are unknown.
Source: 25 News Week.com / The Pantagraph
Restaurant Stays Open for Business After Fire Sprinkler Extinguishes Trash Fire
O’FALLON, IL (March, 2020) – A single fire sprinkler extinguished a fire in a kitchen trash can at Bella Milano restaurant in O’Fallon after kitchen staff were unable to put it out.
According to NFSA member Dan Love, Boyer Fire Protection, the fire department shut down and drained the fire sprinkler system and staff was able to clean the kitchen before he arrived.
“You could not even tell there had been a fire,” Love said. No injuries were reported.
Source: National Fire Sprinkler Association
Residents Safely Evacuate After Fire Sprinklers Control High-Rise Kitchen Fire
EVANSTON, IL (March 7, 2020) – Fire sprinklers contained a fire in a kitchen on the 11th floor of the 24-story Park Evanston apartment tower at 1630 Chicago Avenue. The fire started shortly after 7 p.m. Fire crews extinguished the fire. Occupants safely evacuated. No injuries were reported.
Source: Evanston Now and Chicago Sun Times
Fire Sprinklers Extinguish Fire at Distribution Center
OGLESBY, IL (March 6, 2020) – Fire sprinklers extinguished an early morning fire at Advantage Logistics, a distribution center on Mallik Road in Oglesby Friday. A forklift caught fire while being charged. There were no injuries.
As a precaution a mutual aid request was put out to Peru, Tonica and Utica Fire Departments.
Source: LCBC Radio