September 20, 2021
Frankfort, IL – A fire sprinkler stopped a fire from spreading in the basement of a high school building. The Frankfort Fire Protection district was dispatched for an automatic fire alarm. Crews encountered a burning odor when they entered the building. Several industrial batteries had malfunctioned and may have caused the fire. A single fire sprinkler controlled the fire until it could be extinguished. High levels of Hydrogen Sulfide, a byproduct of burning batteries, delayed extinguishment. After the area was ventilated, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported. Estimated damage was $5,000 – $10,000.

Sources: Frankfort Fire Protection District release