A fire sprinkler stopped a fireball caused by a grease fryer in a Long Grove restaurant. The cook was moving the fryer to change the oil when the flash occurred. The cook was burned from the flash fire. Heat from fire activated the sprinkler allowing the cook to escape from the kitchen. The sprinkler prevented the fire from spreading throughout the restaurant.

According to Michael Schmitt, fire marshal, Long Grove Fire Prevention Bureau, the fire probably would have spread without fire sprinklers. He said the flash from a grease fire is fast and unfortunately resulted in a burn injury before the sprinkler activated.

Schmitt said the security camera in the business was able to capture the fire and sprinkler activation. The restaurant was able to open for business the next day.