September 20, 2021 Frankfort, IL – A fire sprinkler stopped a fire from spreading in the basement of a high school building. The Frankfort Fire Protection district was dispatched for an automatic fire alarm. Crews encountered a burning odor when they entered the building. Several industrial batteries had malfunctioned and may have caused the fire. A single fire sprinkler controlled the fire until it could be extinguished. High levels of Hydrogen Sulfide, a byproduct of burning batteries, delayed extinguishment. After the area was ventilated, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported. Estimated damage was $5,000 – $10,000.
Sources: Frankfort Fire Protection District release
September 18th, 2021 NILES, IL – A fire sprinkler controlled a fire caused by an overheated motor inside of the BBJ Linens warehouse. Firefighters walked into a white haze of smoke entering the building and found the sprinkler contained the fire to a small area. They sprayed down additional linens to ensure no errant embers from the blaze would reignite the fire.
“If the sprinkler system wasn’t in place, this could have been on the evening news,” said Niles Deputy Fire Chief Bob Greiner. “It could have been much worse.”
No injuries were reported. The warehouse was able to re-open the following business day.
September 14, 2021 PEORIA, IL – Fire sprinklers controlled a fire on the second floor of a Peoria furniture store. Crews from the Peoria Fire Department entered the building and found heavy smoke. Fire on the second floor activated the sprinklers, preventing the fire from spreading. No injuries were reported.
August 25, 2021 ALSIP, IL – A single fire sprinkler controlled a fire in a second story chemical room of a steel barrel manufacturing plant. The fire was caused when a heating element overheated. The fire sprinkler system was back in service within hours causing no loss of production. No injuries were reported.
August 10, 2021 HAMPSHIRE, IL – Fire sprinklers contained a fire at Elgiloy Specialty Metals manufacturing facility. The fire started after a motor malfunctioned and spread to two other motors. Four sprinklers activated and kept the fire from spreading. Firefighters from the Hampshire Fire Protection District extinguished the remaining fire upon arrival. An estimated $10 million in property damage was saved and no injuries were reported.
“The sprinkler system did its job, it contained the fire quickly and prevented any injuries. The business was back in operation the next day!” said Fire Chief Trevor Herrmann.
Source: Fire Chief Trevor Herrmann, Hampshire Fire Protection District
July 30, 2021 SKOKIE, IL – Fire sprinklers stopped a fire from spreading in a kitchen on the fifth floor of a high-rise building. The fire started after a resident left food unattended while cooking. The fire was contained to the kitchen. Approximately 140 people live in the 10-story building. No injuries were reported.
ADDISON, IL – Addison Fire Protection District responded to a fire alarm at an auto repair facility. Upon arrival, the crew found a car burning on top of a service rack. One sprinkler activated and held the fire in check until firefighters could lower the rack, remove the burning car and extinguish it. Minor damage and no injuries were reported.
Source: Addison Fire Protection District Facebook post.
July 4, 2021 PARK RIDGE, IL – One fire sprinkler extinguished a fire in a single-family home in Park Ridge. According to Fire Marshal Kevin Plach, Park Ridge Fire Department, the crew arrived at the home less than 4 minutes after the call. They found smoke and confirmed that a single fire sprinkler extinguished the fire.
According to Plach, the quick and effective response of the home fire sprinkler system stopped the fire from spreading. One resident was transported to the hospital with burns to his extremities. Damage was limited to the area of the fire. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental in nature.
Park Ridge passed an ordinance in 2001 requiring all new homes to be protected with fire sprinklers.
Source: Fire Sprinkler Save Report submitted by. LT. Kevin Plach, Fire Marshal, Park Ridge Fire Department
Dave Burdick2021-07-07T13:56:21-05:00July 7th, 2021|Comments Off on Fire Sprinkler Saves (Summer 2021 Edition)